Aug 5, 2010

first vegan dinner!

I am a slacker!  I have been super busy, so I didn't get a chance to tell you all about my vegan dinner I made for me and Brian on Tuesday night.--well, I thought it was a delicious success! I was very proud of myself and very thankful for Aunt Connie's wonderful recipe. I made vegan stuffed peppers stuffed with Black Bean and Quinoa! ( which I am finding to be one of a vegan's BFF's). When I informed Brian that we were having these for dinner, he responded with "oh ok....will there be a side? Pasta or something?" I must say ;however, that he is very supportive of my vegan journey, but he has not jumped on the train with me with both feet yet. He has always been interested in healthy eating, and I am sure if i give him a few years, he will be loving it just as much as me! ( fingers crossed). SO--here is the scrumptious recipe for these bad boys!

Black  Bean and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
(My favorite AC recipe)

2 tblsp olive oil ( or veggie broth)
1 Medium Onion Chopped ( 1 cup)
3  cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tblsp Chili Powder
1 Tsp salt
1-15oz can Tomato Sauce
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup Quinoa
4 Large Red Bell Peppers ( I used green because they were what I had)
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tsp pure maple syrup

Saute onions in oil for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic. Stir in chili powder and salt. Add the quinoa and 1 cup of the tomato sauce. Simmer (boil) for about 20 min. Preheat oven 350. Cut tops off the peppers and remove all of the seeds. Boil peppers 5 min and then drain. Combine beans and maple syrup with cooked quinoa mixture. Stuff peppers. Stand upright in baking dish. Pour remaining tomato sauce over peppers. Bake 15 minutes.

So I gave his wish and added a side of pasta! I figured if he is going to eat my vegan stuffed peppers- I would throw in a little side of pasta!
The delicious inside!

thank goodness white wine is vegan!

I am glad that I could share with you one of my favorite recipes!

BRIAN'S VEGAN DINNER REVIEW-
He gave these peppers a B-. The reason for the grade is because he said he wasn't "used" to eating things like this. ( Brian is a chicken fingers and french fries type of guy). He did however say that he would give them a try again, and that if he was jumping on the vegan train, I would need to cook these ALOT.


So- yesterday was not a very "vegan friendly" day for me. BBQ at the boyfriends place. That's ok. Like I said, there will be Ups and Downs :).

2 comments:

  1. thank you! I can tell you, that I have been eating these for ever! They are delicious and very easy to make!

    ReplyDelete

leave me some love